Why Does My Cat Lay On My Shoes?
No matter what kind of pet you own, it’s inevitable that they’ll all have quirks and behaviors that may, at times, seem a little strange. For cat owners, one of the more common behaviors that can perplex even the most dedicated pet owners is why their cat lies or sleeps on their shoes.
Reasons Cats Lay on Shoes
Here are some of the more common reasons why cats may choose to sleep and relax on your shoes or other footwear:
- Comfort: Shoes are a great option for cats to sleep on because they’re nice and comfy. Shoes usually keep the shape of their owners foot, making them more than a little cozy. Plus, when shoes are packed away in a shoe rack, they’re usually stored in a warm, dark place which cats are drawn to due to the privacy and safety it provides.
- Familiar Smell: Cats love to sleep near items with familiar or comforting scents. You may think it smells bad to sleep on someone’s shoes, but cats may link the scent to warmth and safety, making for a great makeshift bed.
- Territory Marking: This particular habit is usually more common with cats that not felines that don’t stray away from the home. Sleeping or laying on your shoes may be the cats way of marking their territory and showing the other cats in the house that there is someone bigger and stronger around.
How to Reduce the Habit
If you would prefer that your cat refrains from sleeping on your shoes, there are a few things that you can do to encourage them to look for somewhere else to take their nap:
- Provide a Cat Bed: If your cat has a place of their own to sleep, they may be less likely to choose your shoes as a substitute.
- Place Your Shoes Out of Reach: Cats may use your shoes as an easy resting place if they are left in an area that is easily accessible to your pet.
- Train the Cat: You can train your cat to not sleep on your shoes by forcing them away quickly when they try to settle down.
No matter in the end, if your cat continues to lay on your shoes, try not to be too mad. After all, cats are highly independent creatures and unlike dogs, often do what they please. Of course, it’s not ideal for your shoes, but in the end, it could be much worse. Having a cat can be a great stress reliever and companion, but it can also leave you scratching your head in wonder sometimes. One common perplexing topic among cat owners is why cats lay on their shoes. There are several possible explanations for this behavior, so let us take a closer look at some of them.
One possible reason is that cats like to keep their owners close. Cats are territorial animals, and when they lay down on your shoes, they are effectively claiming them as their own. Cats are also very sensitive to scent, and they might be drawn to your shoes due to their unique smell. Your shoes may provide cats with a sense of comfort and security, and they will likely return to the same spot repeatedly.
Another possible explanation could be that cats are trying to keep cool. Cats have a harder time regulating their body temperature than humans, and so they may lay on your shoes as it provides a source of warmth. This is particularly likely in the morning when your shoes are still warm from your body heat. Alternatively, they may lay on your shoes if the floor is cold, as the shoes may provide a layer or insulation.
One final possible reason is that cats enjoy the texture of your shoes. Shoes are typically made of soft materials such as leather, suede and cloth, which cats may find it enjoyable to lie on. Additionally, shoes may act as a sort of massage pad, especially when our feet move around inside them, something which cats seem to enjoy.
So, if your four-legged friend has taken a liking to your shoes, don’t fret, as there are many possible explanations behind the behavior. Cats are unique creatures and it can be difficult to fully understand them, but with a little patience and observation, we can start to get a better idea of why and how our cats behave.